|| Medical equipment is designed to aid in the diagnosis, monitoring or treatment of medical conditions. These devices are usually designed with rigorous safety standards. There are several basic types:
* Diagnostic equipment includes medical imaging machines, used to aid in diagnosis. Examples are ultrasound and MRI machines, PET and CT scanners, and x-ray machines.
* Therapeutic equipment includes infusion pumps, medical lasers and LASIK surgical machines.
* Life support equipment is used maintain a patient's bodily function. These include medical ventilators, heart-lung machines, ECMO [extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) is an extracorporeal technique of providing both cardiac and respiratory support oxygen to patients whose heart and lungs are so severely diseased that they can no longer serve their function. An ECMO machine is similar to a heart-lung machine. ], and dialysis machines.
* Medical monitors allow medical staff to measure a patient's medical state. Monitors may measure patient vital signs and other parameters including ECG, EEG, blood pressure, and dissolved gases in the blood.
* Medical laboratory equipment automates or help analyze blood, urine and genes.